Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Replica quilt

 My mom and dad have had this quilt for a while.*

It's probably from the 1880's.
 
It's beautifully pieced, sometimes with teeny tiny scraps hand stitched together to make a larger piece of fabric (you know, gotta use those scraps) and perfectly hand quilted.
 
 My mom and I realized that we wanted to preserve the quilt from further wear and tear as the quilt on her guest room bed so we decided to remake the quilt in similar colors and similar design. I'll admit, it was tough to pick out beige, tan and brown fabric but I think we did a good job.
The quilt has more reds and pinks than what's showing in this picture too.  This is the best I could do on the fly with the iPod and no quilt-holding assistant.

We pieced it and had it quilted by a local quilter.
I loved making this quilt.  It was a great experience in preserving a piece of my family history.

*I'll update with the exact family relation later. My family history is a little fuzzy and I have to connect with the family historian.

No comments:

Post a Comment