Saturday, February 4, 2012

Saturday update

I think I have about 1/2 of J's quilt done as of tonight. I was on a roll earlier today but just couldn't back into the same groove tonight so I've put away the machine and all the gadgets.

A friend asked me dimensions on this quilt. I read through all the comments at the original blog What Ara Jane Loves, and saw that the blocks are based on a 4 inch finished square. Instead of cutting up tons and tons of squares and sewing three of them together in some cases, the single squares are cut 4.5 X 4.5 inches, two units (on the sides) are 4.5 X 8.5 inches and the biggest units as 4.5 X 12.5 inches. Sew the units together from one side to the other and then attach the rows. The finished blanket exactly as posted will end up 44 X 60 units.

I've learned-
It's hard to draw straight lines while quilting
It does get easier with practice
How to pull up a bobbin thread through to the top of the quilt, no more tangled nests underneath my projects

The girls are getting antsy for their own quilts and I had a rare time with just the two of them today so we headed out for some supplies. I needed more thread so I stopped at the nearest fabric store, a strange hole in the wall place. We decided to check out the fabric and while C wanted a Care Bear quilt, I got them both redirected at a display for some Amy Butler fabric. I think they are from the Daisy Chain line but I don't see any of the fabrics I bought on her page. I just went for what's pretty.

Here's the plan.

Going to make this quilt for P pie. Half prints and half solid. Once I get all the fabric, I'll pick what solid to go with it.

And here's inspiration for C's quilt at Lucy and Norman. I'm going to make a disappearing 4 patch instead of a 9 patch, instructions found here at Oh Fransson. I think I'm going to keep the cuts straight instead of wonky.

Also undecided is if I'm going to put batting inside it or flannel to make it a bit lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment